Drake's Privacy Commitment & Accountability
At Drake, we are committed to protecting the privacy of personal information that you give to us. This document is to inform you of how we at Drake collect use and disclose your personal information for our recruitment, flexible staffing and training/certification businesses. Drake is accountable for the personal information you have supplied to us. Our employees and Associates are informed about the importance of privacy and each is responsible for the personal information within his or her control. Our State Officer is responsible for coordinating our compliance with both federal and provincial privacy laws.
Your Personal Information
Generally, personal information is any piece of information, factual or subjective, about an identifiable individual. Some examples of the types of personal information that may be held by Drake includes your name, address, date of birth, contact details, qualifications, education, work history, skills, aptitudes, resumé, salary/benefit information, information derived from background checks such as criminal and credit record, banking details, driver's license number and information about your hobbies and interests. It will also include information we derive about you through the administration of skills, personality or aptitude testing.
Purposes for Which We Collect Personal Information
Drake provides permanent recruitment services that respond to the needs of both employers ("Clients") and applicants by helping to place the right person in the right position. Personal Information supplied by you is used by us to consider and evaluate your qualifications for either permanent or temporary employment with Drake or one of our Clients. For individuals who are hired by Drake, and for temporary staffing arrangements, we also collect information to provide payroll services. For those becoming permanent employees of Drake, we also collect information about you and your beneficiaries as required to enroll in our benefits programs. We collect only what we need for those purposes.
How We Collect Personal Information
Drake collects your personal information, for the identified purposes, in a number of ways, including:
- when you provide information by phone or in documents such as an application form or a resumé; this may be via e-mail or delivery of hard copy of such information.
- through interviews with you in person or by telephone;
- by contacting the individuals that you have nominated as your references ("Referees");
- from Clients to whom services are supplied as part of our temporary staffing business;
- through the administration and assessment of the results of aptitude tests and the interpretation of the results of such tests.
- We may collect Web Site visitors' contact information (like their e-mail address).
How We Use Your Personal Information
Drake's employees and Associates (as defined below) will use personal information about you to assess your suitability for permanent or temporary positions with Drake or with its Clients.
We will disclose your personal information to Clients for the purposes of attempting to recruit you to specific positions that we feel you may be suited to, and/or for supplying your services to Clients as a temporary field staff worker. The personal information disclosed to Clients will be all the personal information required to make an informed decision.
We may also disclose your personal information to the following parties outside of Drake:
- organizations that provide essential services to Drake such as organizations to whom certain business functions or processes may be outsourced; or to other temporary staffing companies, where we are working on a joint staffing project; We will endeavour to ensure that any such organizations will protect the personal information we supply to them in keeping with privacy laws;
- your referees in making enquiries;
- your financial institution and others relating to your remuneration and benefits;
- government bodies or law enforcement agencies as required/authorized by law;
- Drake's related companies and any companies involved in a corporate or business reorganization by Drake;
- Associates of Drake (meaning separate legal entities who supply for Drake the same services as are provided by staffing consultants employed by Drake);
- organizations and government agencies that provide background checks, including credit, criminal and education background checks;
- Any other person or organization not referred to above where you have given us specific consent to share your personal information with such person or organization
Personal information collected from Web Site visitors may be used to send news, information about Drake and promotional material that we believe may be useful to you and to analyze this data for trends and statistics.
"Cookies" are a standard for storing small pieces of data on a web client (i.e. the web browser on your computer). Any web server (including this one) may:
- store one or more cookies in your browser; or
- request your browser to transmit the data to the web server.
This Web Site may store cookies on your web client in order to better serve you upon your subsequent visits to this Web Site. By using cookies, web sites can track information about visitors' usage of the site, provide customized content, or even the use of password protection. Note that some browsers can be configured to allow cookies to be accessed by servers other than the originating server. Please note that most web browsers can also be configured to notify the user when a cookie is received, allowing you to either accept or reject it. For further information about working with cookies:
- for Internet Explorer, visit www.microsoft.com; and
- for Netscape Navigator, visit www.netscape.com.
Note that the servers listed above may also cause a cookie to be stored on your computer. If you are using a browser not listed above, please consult your documentation or the manufacturer.
We seek and confirm your consent to use your personal information as set out above at the time we first collect your personal information. If you subsequently supply further personal information it is assumed the consent we originally received is applicable to personal information supplied at a later time, provided the purposes are the same as have been identified in this document or by a Drake representative. Consent may be expressed (in writing or verbally), or it may be implied, such as when you send us unsolicited personal information, in paper copy or electronically. Your consent can be withdrawn if you notify our Privacy Office in writing.
If you have received this form in hard copy, we will ask you to sign one copy signifying your consent. If you receive this via e-mail, as a reply to the receipt of unsolicited personal information, your consent will be presumed and you do not need to return anything.
If you do not wish to have your personal information used for a particular purpose or you do not wish to receive mailings, you can e-mail us to notify us of your wishes. Our practice is that if we wish to collect Personal Information via the Internet about you (such as name, contact information or other registration information), Drake will:
- expressly ask you for that Personal Information;
- when we ask you for that Personal Information, tell you how we intend to use that Personal Information if you choose to give it to us. For instance, we may wish to use that Personal Information to personalize and tailor our information, services or products for you; to identify who we are communicating with; or, to inform you of further information relating to our services or products, or to this Web Site;
- not share your Personal Information with persons or entities unless in accordance with this Privacy Code;
You can Access Your Personal Information
You have a right to access the personal information that we retain about you, subject to some exceptions provided by law, how we use it and how to whom it has been disclosed. If you would like to do so, please let us know. For security reasons, you will be required to put your request in writing. Further, you may be charged a small administrative fee for searching for and providing access to your information (we will advise you of the fee at the time of your request). You should address any request for access to our Privacy Office.
We will take appropriate measures to ensure that personal information you have supplied is stored securely, whether in electronic form or otherwise.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed as totally secure. Accordingly, although Drake strives to protect such information, Drake cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or from our online products or services and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we will take reasonable steps to preserve the security of this information in our own systems. If you have a login name and/or password for use in conjunction with this web site, you are entirely responsible for the maintenance of the confidentiality of that login name and/or password. Furthermore, you are entirely responsible for any and all activities that occur under your login name. You agree to immediately notify Drake of any unauthorized use of your login name and/or password or any other breach of security known to you.
We rely upon you to notify us of any changes in your personal information that you consider important, in order that we can keep your personal information up to date. Where we determine that your personal information is no longer required for any purpose we have identified to you, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is disposed of in a secure manner or rendered anonymous. Some personal information must be retained for specific periods to comply with various laws.
At Drake, your privacy is important to us.
Drake is bound by the Australia Privacy Principles (“APP”) under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) as amended from time to time in Australia. We give effect to these laws by adhering to the APP in our dealings with your personal information.
At Drake, we are committed to protecting the privacy of the information that you provide us with and Drake also aims to be open and transparent about how we manage your personal information.
What types of personal information may we collect and hold?
Under the the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) personal information means information or an opinion about you. The definition of personal information includes information regarding your contact details, work experience, qualifications, aptitude test results, opinions about your work performance (for example your references), incidents at the workplace, and other information obtained or received by us in connection with your possible and actual work placements.
Sensitive Information Under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), Sensitive information is a special category of personal information. Sensitive information is information or opinion about you, including membership of a professional or trade association or membership of a trade union; criminal record; health information, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, or sexual preferences or practices. As outlined in the the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), sensitive information can, in most cases, only be disclosed with your consent.
Health Informationis defined under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) to mean information or an opinion about, the health or disability (at any time) of an individual; an individual’s expressed wishes about the future provision of health services to him or her; or a health service provider, or to be provided, to an individual; this may also be personal information or other personal information collected to provide, or in providing, a health service. As outlined in the the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), health information can, in most cases, only be disclosed with your consent.
How does Drake collect personal information?
The Drake has many services which it provides and Drake will only ask you to provide information that is relevant to the particular service that you have requested Drake to provide. Drake may collect some or all of the following information:
- ID information such as your name, postal address, email, telephone numbers, and date of birth.
- Other contact details or information which is publicly available (for example through social media or the internet).
- Residency or citizenship status (such as, but not limited to whether you are on a visa or citizen of Australia to ensure that you are able to work legally in Australia)
- Qualifications, certificates, accreditation, work history, resume and application forms (this includes any forms that you complete for Drake or any other information you provide in connection with your application)
- References which Drake receives about you.
- Results of inquires that we might make of your former employers, work colleagues, professional associations, registration body or other entities which have worked with you.
- Results of any competency, medical test, background checks, health questionnaire, psychological tests or personality & behavioural profiles.
- Salary/benefit information, bank account details, tax file number, superannuation fund any other information we require to ensure that you are paid and that Drake complies with its legal obligations where Drake is your employer or your employer outsources their payroll functions to Drake.
- Drivers licence number and other licences as required (for example if you have a forklift licence)
- Information about your hobbies and interests
- Details of any dealings you have with us and/or our clients
- Information we receive about any insurance investigations, claims, litigation, registration or professional disciplinary matter, criminal matter, inquest or inquiry in which you were involved.
- Information which we receive about a workplace accident in which you were involved.
- Any other additional information about you which you provide to us (including through our website).
If you consent, Drake may also collect sensitive about you, including, your membership in a trade union, health information, information from police checks. It is up to you to choose the information that you give to Drake.
If you choose not to provide Drake with particular information that has been requested:
- Drake may not be best placed to provide the service that you require.
- Drake may be limited in our ability to locate suitable work for you.
- Drake may be limited in our ability to place you in work.
Purposes for which Drake may collect and use your personal information
Drake uses highly skilled consultants to provide permanent recruitment services that respond to the needs of both employers and applicants by helping to place the right person in the right position. Drake also supplies temporary staffing (contractors) to a wide range of businesses in many industries ("Clients"). Drake also provides services such as training, development and e-learning, assessment and certification, employee assistance programs (“EAP”), career and organisational development, business technologies, outsourcing and outplacements. We use the information we collect to provide these services to clients, job seekers and contractors and to provide training programs. In our permanent recruitment and temporary contracting businesses, the personal information that we collect from you is used to provide recruitment and contracting services, for example, by matching applicants or contractors to clients needs. In our non-recruitment businesses, your personal information is used to enable Drake to deliver the product or services that you require.
Your personal information and sensitive information may also be used in connection with the following purposes:
- For services which you have requested Drake to provide to you
- Your actual or possible work placement
- Career guidance or management
- Your performance appraisals
- Our assessment of your ongoing performance and prospects
- Any test or assessment (including medical tests and assessments) that you might be required to undergo
- Our identification of your training needs
- Informing you of possible work opportunities, relevant candidates, or other events such as training or information sessions by direct mail/email/sms
- Any workplace rehabilitation
- Our management and resolution of any complaint, inquiry or investigation in which you are involved
- Credit checks on potential or existing Clients
- Any insurance claim or proposal that requires disclosure of your personal or sensitive information
- Undertaking criminal reference checks
- For research, development, business systems and infrastructure testing, and other business purposes to assist us in providing our services to you
- Our direct marketing to you about products and services, advise you of industry news and events, promotions and competitions, reports and other information. Where we do send you marketing material, you will be able to unsubscribe from such communication.
Where we collect information from
Drake collects information in a number of ways, including:
- Directly from you, when you provide information by phone, emails or in documents such as an application form or resume.
- Directly from you through our website, when you fill out a form, write a comment, make an enquiry or complaint, fill in an order form or subscribe to our publications, services or marketing and events.
- By contacting the referees that you have nominated
- From clients to whom services are supplied as part of our contracting business
- By searching publicly available information (for example, the internet)
Information collected from visitors to our website (including via mobile access)
When you visit our website, Drake collects information about our website users collectively, which may include data about your location (i.e. city & country), internet browser type, language, operating system, service provider, screen resolution and whether you are visiting for the first time or revisiting our website. This data is anonymously collected and only used in aggregate, and as such no identifying information is collected. Drake uses this data to help us improve our website and it’s useability and to help us determine what is most beneficial to our users so that we can provide you with the best possible experience.
To whom do we regularly disclose personal information? We will disclose personal information to Clients for the purpose of recruiting you to specific positions, or for supplying your services to clients as a contractor. We may also disclose your personal information to the following parties outside of Drake:
- Drake's agents, contractors (e.g. people who are authorised to administer our computer systems or to other recruitment suppliers, where we are working on a joint recruitment project), professional advisers, consultants and representatives
- You and your referees in making enquiries
- Your financial institution and others relating to your remuneration and benefits
- Government bodies or others as required/authorised by law
- Drake's related companies and any companies involved in a corporate or business restructure by Drake
- Potential and actual employers, clients of Drake and trusted third parties
- Drake employees and potential employers are located in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Hong Kong, China, India, Monaco, Switzerland, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, United Kingdom and United States of America (and any other countries where Drake provide its services in future) regarding possible work placements or to assist us in providing our services to you.
- External providers of on-line services such as training and inductions
- Our insurers
- Professional associations or registration body that has a legitimate interest in the disclosure of your personal and sensitive information
- Workers compensation body
- Any person with a lawful entitlement to obtain the information.
Management of personal information held by Drake
How does Drake store and protect your personal information?
The security of your information is important to us. We make all reasonable efforts to ensure that information is stored securely both in electronic and physical form. To ensure that your personal information is secure, Drake holds your personal information in a combination of secure computer storage facilities, paper-based files and other records. Drake takes the steps which are reasonably necessary to protect your personal information we hold about you from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We may need to maintain records for a significant period of time, due to statutory requirements or as otherwise required, however, when we consider personal information is no longer required, we take reasonable steps to disposed of this information in a secure manner or de-identified the records.
If you have a general enquiry, you may choose to use to use of pseudonym or remain anonymous. Drake may not always be able to interact with you in this manner however, especially where it is required by law to identify a person before providing certain information. In general, we won’t be able to deal with you anonymously or where you are using a pseudonym when:
- It is impracticable; or
- Where we are required or authorised by law or a court/tribunal order to deal with you personally.
Correcting or updating information held by Drake
Drake take reasonable steps to ensure that all information we collect, use or disclose about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you believe that there is an error or information is missing please notify our Privacy Officer and we will work with you to correct or add the information as soon as possible.
Access to your personal information
You may access your information at any time (subject to some exceptions allowed by law). If you would like to know what information we hold about you please contact our Privacy Officer. For security reasons, you may be required to put your request in writing. Further, you may be charged a fee for searching for and providing access to your information.
Enquiries and Complaints
- Privacy Officer, Drake Australia Pty Ltd GPO Box 298 Melbourne 3001
We will try to satisfy any questions or concerns that you have. For more information about privacy in general, you can visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner's website
How to Contact Us
We also will, upon request, make available specific information about our privacy policies, practices and procedures. You can raise concerns and initiate the steps to gain access to your personal information by writing to our Privacy Office, at:
Privacy Officer, Drake Australia Pty Ltd GPO Box 298 Melbourne 3001